Training: Boosting our raw capacity to provide Drupal training
Video not available
As fresh Drupal talent and more Drupal development shops enter the picture it is important to foster and raise supportive training operations as well. Speakers will share experiences on student knowledge assessments, curricula building, training theory, and evaluation techniques all based on familiar training scenarios. You'll walk away with a direction for implementing your own in-house training programs.
To read followup blog entries from the presenters, look here:
- Sean Effel talked about Drupaltherapy's beginner training.
- Barry Madore spoke about Advantage Labs' local/live training models.
- Lee Hunter spoke about developing documentation for training purposes.
- Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg spoke about training new development team members.
An alternate title:
"Training for Drupal: Helping you help others help themselves"
Training for Drupal usually gets at least one session, and this is it. We'll speak to a couple of very common training scenarios for Drupal developers: You've got to train your client's admin staff in how to maintain and manage their new Drupal site; You've got a new employee joining your development team that you have to bring up to speed; You've got to produce any amount of documentation to deliver with your development work.
- An overview of challenges in the Drupal training arena
- Assessing the training needs of your clients and...
- Quantifying your client's knowledge of Drupal
- Scaling curriculum for different tiers of Drupal experience.
- Training in the streets for beginning Drupal users and...
- Training in the suites for corporate clients
- Questions and (some) answers
This workshop will speak largely to these ultimate goals:
- This session aims to increase your capacity to provide Drupal training.
- Attendees with a stake in training at any level will find a direction to develop their own training materials and programs.
- Attendees will learn through osmosis some trusted techniques and well marked pitfalls in delivering on Drupal training requirements.
- Attendees will learn what resources are in place already to help deliver better and more effective training based on the target audience.
- We'll all have a good, old fashioned love-in for everyone afflicted by that universal glue of education.
There are a number of folks in the training arena already and their experience in developing curriculum and teaching on the floor is a gold mine. We will tap into these resources and help attendees learn from them. Just to name a few of the training operations out there:
- Advantage Labs Basic Training Courses: (example)
- Drupaltherapy's entry level user trainings: (example)
- Lullabot's professional training operation: (example)
- Acquia's forthcoming Yellow Jersey certification program: (example)
This workshop will also contribute more to the thread started at Drupalcon Szeged on developing an official certification program for Drupal.