Using Drupal to build a product: Managing News
In this demo I will present Development Seed's news tracker for teams: Managing News. I am going to explain its most important features, we will take a look at some of the gears under the hood, kick its tires and talk about creating a product with Drupal and future plans with Managing News.
Consider attending if you are a communications person with a weakness for news tracking, if you are interested in RSS/Atom aggregation, if you are building your own Drupal product or if you're dreaming of building one.
First I am going to show and explain the most important features in Managing News which include
- RSS/Atom aggregation
- Generation of RSS search subscriptions of a series of news search engines at once
- Tracking of news sources
- Retrieval of meta information such as Alexa ranking, OpenCalais tags and screenshot thumbnails
- Visualizing results as graphs and maps
- Organizing news clippings in lists
Then I will spotlight architectural details and technologies in Managing News
- Custom generation of listings and views
- Python demon for interfacing with web services
- FeedAPI for massive aggregation
- ApacheSolr for search
- MapBox mapping server for mapping
- Server setup and deployment
Finally, I will share what we learned about the difference between Drupal site development and Drupal product development.
- Making users stories work defines your success. With one-off web sites, the client typically carries the risk of features that aren't adopted. With a product, botched user stories go on your tab. At the same time, you have more power to shape them.
- Keep your company's module toolbox in mind. Custom solutions are easier to justify, but don't get trapped with too much tailored code.
- Upgrade paths become more important.
I will close with an outlook on future developments both for particular technologies in Managing News and for the application as a whole.