Staging and Deployment - A Panel Discussion
Drupal and its contributed modules provides an impressive amount of functionality without needing to write a single line of code by storing information in Drupal's database tables. Unfortunately this poses a challenge for developers wanting to stage changes between servers. This talk will address these issues by describing the problem and presenting a variety of solutions as well as their pros and cons.
- The what and why of the problem
- Installation vs Change Management
- Configuration vs Content
- Option #1 - Moving admin to code
- Option #2 - DBscripts module
- Option #3 - Deploy module
- More options possible
- Putting it all together to create a workflow that meets your needs
- What still needs work and options for addressing it
A solid understanding of the pros and cons of using different methods to deploy Drupal content and confguration between servers, and how these can be used to build up a manageable workflow for your team.
Greg Dunlap - Maintainer of the Deploy module
Kathleen Murtagh - Maintainer of the DBscripts module
Shaun Haber - Lead engineer at Warner Brothers records
Sacha Chua - Emerging Technologies Evangelist at IBM