Building advanced social networks at a large US university
Drupal excels at building social networks. I'll be diving into some of the theory behind what makes social networks tick plus demoing a large social network based on Organic Groups we're building at BYU.
- Introduce the key principles for understanding social networks -- expect to see chaos, social objects, social gestures, ego and object centric networks, and communities of practice.
- Discuss the five key principles for building successful social networks.
- Demo the site including a new memetracker-like tool which identifies the hottest discussions within sections of the site or the the site as a whole.
- Discuss how social networks like Island are the future of learning.
- Future plans -- I'll present a few of the ideas we're planning to implement in the next few months.
That people will walk away with a better understanding of social networks and a decent idea of how to go about building one in Drupal.
- https://island.byu.edu -- The site I'll be demoing
Some good articles:
- Social Gestures beget Social Objects
- Why some social network services work and others don't — Or: the case for object-centered sociality
- My "social_object" bookmarks on delicious