The Future of Files and Media in Drupal 7
Anyone who spent any time dealing with files in previous versions of Drupal knows what a pain it was. In Drupal 7 all that has changed. This session will examine at the new FileAPI and what it has to offer contrib module developers.
- Drupal 6.x FileAPI, focusing primarily on its many limitations
- Drupal 7.x FileAPI, discussing the flexibility it offers module developers
- Building a simple contrib file module
- Discussion on the future of the FileAPI
After the session participants should:
- Have an understanding of the changes made to the FileAPI in Drupal 7 and their rationale.
- Be aware of the exciting possibilities for contrib modules to interact with files and other modules.
- Have an idea how to go about upgrading media modules from 6.x to 7.x.
This will be a technical discussion that will assume a basic familiarity with file handling in Drupal 6. Developers of media modules will get the most out of this presentation but it should be interesting to anyone working with files in Drupal 7.x.
Andrew Morton (http://drupal.org/user/34869) is the maintainer of the file management system in Drupal 7, and co-maintains several contrib media modules.
Other presenters TBD.